Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Impossible is Nothing




"You can do it Brucy"  - Matilda  (so classic)

This week we talked to a Hermana for a little about why she was inactive. She said we just felt so much pressure. She repeated that a few times, so we asked "pressure to do what?" She said

"we don’t have time, and they want us to spend time we don’t have reading the bible and stuff and going to church. We don’t have time." (they had the television on). So we responded that the books and church are for us to grow and be better. The pressure is out of love and knowledge of the happiness it gives us. She repeated "we don’t have time." So I said: "You don’t have time for God?" She wasn't budging.

When people try to get rid of us, the line they use the most is "I am another religion." It turns out most don’t really go to church and they prefer churches that are more hands off so that they can really do whatever they want. I really like this distinction where we are expected to give it all to become so much more.


Elder ´Poblete likes to quote Elder Holland’s: "salvation is not a cheap expérience" in English with Elder Holland’s emphasis. He also likes to say: "impossible is nothing" which is a Nike quote.   This week he accidently mixed them and said: "Salvation is Nothing!"   haha then said wait, no. . .   ha I was dying. It’s such a good time to be comps with the Hispanics - especially this guy. 

When people give me a photo to look at of their family here or at home, I usually look at it for a few seconds then say something nice. The people here are much kinder than that. When I give them a picture of my family they stare intently at it for 3-5 minutes then ask in depth questions and memorize the names. (I try not to crack up during their study). It’s incredible. I have some work to do on that front.

There are tons of birds here. What a couch potato the telephone wire has made out of those birds. Do you think that they are receiving some of the messages that are passing through the wire?  Maybe birds are gossipy and totally in on all the juicy info.  Just a thought.

We were driving one day in the other area with a member and I looked out the window and a tiger was 3-4 feet from me. It was in a cage. The circus was apparently in town. I still almost had a heart attack.

I got to go but love you all.

 

Speen

No comments:

Post a Comment