Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Elder Holland



Quote: "You done been shrunk. Quiet down fish"   (Vector - Despicable Me)  

 


I might have used that quote already but I crack up every time I think of Cate quoting it, soo I’ll probably use it again.

This week I saw the Mexican version of the SNL Obama, Potipher from the Donny Osmond version of Joseph, and the guy from Star Wars that starts to cry after Luke kills the giant beast in Jabba’s palace. At one time I knew the name of that beast. I also saw a version of Eric Lehnardt, but he was ten years younger and wearing some pretty retro clothes. 

Another fun Torreon thing is that we have seen several boats parked outside of people’s houses? What in the world? Where are you going to use that? The closest lake is called the Atlantic Ocean.  

We have been running a loop around the University by our house. There is a security guard at one point there to "keep the peace." There are hundreds of military personnel constantly in trucks on alert here. This security guard is 85 years old, in a lawn chair with a baton, and we often see him napping. I can’t wait for someone to start making trouble and see this guy fly out of his chair and go Rambo on them. Maybe I have too much time to think while we walk, or a little too much sunlight.  Speaking of which - Meish is getting a little hot there?  i don’t know what the effects of the humidity are there, but check out my ten day vs hers. But all is good. I have more trees to use for shade than she does - - - - not.
 
  • Torreon Average Temp: 99 degrees
  • Naga Average Temp: 91 degrees
  • D.R. Average Temp: 86 degrees

Thanks a billion for the package. You guys know me: mints, talks, cereal, and chocolate. I almost started to sing to my comp "these are a few of my favorite things."

Elder Holland came and we had a meeting with just the missionaries on Saturday and a tri-Stake meeting later that day. In anticipation for this my comp spent the days before saying to me "Do you love me" trying to replicate Elder Hollands talk about the apostles returning to fishing. He was incredibly stoked to hear an apostle.  It was perfect because many of our investigators went.   He spoke of the tenderness of the experience when Christ visited the Nephites and the importance of baptism (perfect right). We will see the result this week.  He spoke a little of his talk in Spanish; a pretty stellar minute actually. But he had a very thick MTC accent. At the end of his talk on Saturday, after hitting the podium a few times and just blowing us away with the spirit, he used this great catch phrase "....and if you think you have it hard here on your mission, Welcome the work!" Now my comp and I have a thing between us that when one pretends to be all tired or says the sun is hot, we look each other in the eyes and say: "beinvenidos a la obra!" It was a great weekend.

Take care.

Elder Speen

No comments:

Post a Comment