Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Halloween in Parras


 
The work is picking up here. We received a reference this week from a member. The address they gave us led to a small hardware store; so I called the number. The woman that answered told me that she speaks English and confirmed that she had spoken to the family to talk to us. She told me that she doesn’t understand death and why it happens. We like that kind of question.

On another day we were walking down the street and a man shouted to us to come over.  He asked us several doctrinal questions about Adam and Eve.  He knows his Bible so he was fun to talk to.  We started to do a question and answer thing with him.  He would ask one question and we would answer, then we would discuss it. Then we would ask.    

While I was studying this week I saw a list of the 12 original apostles of Christ.  I realized that I hadn’t reviewed the list completely before. There is a section in Jesus the Christ that talks about each one individually; so I read it a few times.  The next day a Christian man came up to us and we talked with him about our beliefs.  He said, "I have talked to your missionaries before and your counterparts didn’t even know who the original 12 disciples were. Can you tell me?"    I almost laughed and said yup. We continued talking. We talked about the next life and he started to show some interest.


 after playing soccer with the district

I was listening to the Joseph Smith papers this week. There was a segment on Emma Smith and her staying rather than going with the saints. It seems like this was the wrong choice. Why do you think she made that decision?

Hard to believe I got my mission call over a year ago.  My comp grew up on a city on the beach. He has only been to mountains a couple of times in his life. The hike I took him on was 4 hours. Oops. He was pretty dead.  Last week we started on one and within five minutes of climbing the hill my comp tripped and completely ripped his jeans.  So, no hike for us today.

Halloween is awesome here. They do these dances in the streets for the muertos. The men dress up in loin cloths with palm leaves and they paint their faces as skeletons. Then they do these crazy coo doo dances with huge drums. We had dinner with an investigator family.

Part of the halloween celebration
 They make these on the ground with crushed flowers. They are 8 feet long

 
We have a zone meeting on Tuesday, and then a meeting with President on Wednesday in the same city. My comp and I are going to sleep at the zone leaders apartment; on the floor like my man Edmond Dantes.


On exchanges with Elder neilson

Zone conference
 I got a letter from the Hinckley family. Give them a bunch of thanks. 

I like hearing about your travels. "We have fewer children home now.  Let’s see how many continents we can visit." hahha - incredibly jealous.  Go on a lot of hikes for me.  

It is getting chilly here. Tell Will no mas "hot agua" for me either - but it really wakes you up. 

I have to take off.  Love you all.  

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment