Monday, December 2, 2013

Bread for our Friend


We were in another city for a zone activity today. A couple of weeks ago this man asked us to buy him bread. He was super drunk and telling us that he didn’t want wine, just bread. We bought him several sweet roles. My comp was joking around by saying that in a few hours he would have forgotten the entire experience, and looked in his hand and said "Why do I have bread.”

Well, he saw us the other day and asked us to buy more, so we did. He also said he was cold so we gave him a sweater that was in the house.



This tiled work of art is of Fransisco I Madero who was a revolutionist and Mexican President who was born here in Parras.  He was assasinated in 1913.

Thanks for sending that info on the Sabbath. I really like the part that says that the church "kindly suggested that the scouting organization should change its Sunday policy." Ha - it may have helped a bit that the church is the largest supporter of the organization.  

Funny/sad story: Today we took the 7:30 a.m. bus to Chaves.  We normally sit in the back of the bus. I don’t know why – probably because there normally aren’t many on the bus. Today a woman of 40 got on just after us. When she saw us she went to sit next to my comp. I instantly smelled the stench of the alcohol that she obviously had been drinking. I thought I better talk to her, but it was a long ride so I figured I would give it a few minutes. After we started going she moved to my row and then looked at me, gave me a sad smile, then started to cry.  She said "help me." We began talking and then she said, "I’m talking with a friend right? Will you take it?" She then pulled out of her jacket a large bottle of Corona, and gave it to me. Later she gave me her cigarettes. We talked to her for a while and then sang her several hymns. We sang her to sleep. When she woke up she told us that she was done with the 20 year addiction. She lives in another area so I handed the reference off. 


 

These kids were staring so I asked them if they had never seen a white kid before. We then went to talk with their parents to see if they had any interest.  They are members! They were baptized in another city a bit back.  There are several families living together and lots of children. They were super excited that we passed by.   I am pretty sure that all those little ones will get baptized. I hope I don’t get transferred on Monday.  I want to stay here 3 more months.  This last week was the best I have had on the mission.


I followed Meisha’s idea of the thanksgiving journal.  
 

My favorite scrip right now. Luke 21: 19     "In your patience, possess your souls"

Mom, everyone loves the gloves you sent me. A few people have tried to buy them off of me.

I have to head out

Love you all!

Speen



 


No comments:

Post a Comment