Monday, April 22, 2013

Camera's Are Over-rated



I am glad you made it to Stefan’s farewell. Ya Stefan really is a stud. He will have a little different experience in Russia than my experience but he will face some similar challenges. The big difference will be the temp. The thing I really respect about Stefan is his discipline in everything. He is a naturally smart kid but he hasn’t achieved due to laziness. He diligently works on aspects of his life, everyday building more.  I’ve learned on my mission that is what it is all about. Great things don’t come in a day or spring up. It is about constantly, consciously putting in the effort.

We have an inactive family that hasn’t been to church for a very long time. When we first walked by the house in my first week, the mother was smoking. We have spent a lot of time with them since then; almost every other day. Their son won’t come in to talk with us and he plays his guitar really loud while we talk. But because of some financial difficulties they have been humbled and seem desperate for the relief the gospel offers. They have started to show some excitement about having us come by and they even have their scriptures ready.  This week we caught the mother smoking again. She was ashamed and we were disappointed.  But, we talked about the importance of the Word of Wisdom and committed them to come to church. The daughter is Owen’s age and hasn’t been baptized - so we committed her to that as well. Yesterday while we were in the church, I was playing the prelude music and i saw them walk in and I was just stoked on life.

In other news, I saw Sid, the dog from Toy Story this week, so that was exciting. Also, we went to see the Christ statue that is here in Torreon.  It was real cool, and I had some pretty great pictures to show you but on the way down from the hill, we were held up and my camera was stolen. Sooo, that blows. I didn’t have too pictures on it so that is good. I can buy a camera here because it is cheeper. I was perhaps a bit naive but I will have some stories tell.

I really get along with the other missionaries. It is easy to connect when everyone is humble. Our mission is about 50/50 on missionaries from Latin American and the U.S.

This past week we also had had two discussions with men on the street with tequila in hand. They were drunk and asked if I wanted some. They told me they thought our church is radical for its beliefs because we don’t drink alcohol. They got heated and one of the guys had a screw driver in his hand and was scratching his back with it, so I took a step back. I don’t know what they got out of the discussion but I liked it because it helped me practice articulating our beliefs

Thanks for the letters and talks on fear. I ain’t gonna lie; I have felt it a few times here. But, I made a promise to myself that I would contribute in every lesson. Spanish is coming but you know how it is. I’ve learned a lot and these growth pains are expected.    

I have not seen Carson yet as he is in a different area. But, I will see him next month when Elder Holland comes to meet with everyone in our mission. That is going to be pretty cool.  

Love

Elder Speen
 

No comments:

Post a Comment