Tuesday, April 16, 2013

I Don’t Understand a Word You Just Said!



Quote of the Week:

"I don’t understand a word you just said." Lyle from Napoleon Dynamite

This Wednesday we went back for the night and found that we were without electricity. Water was also a no-go. So we clicked on some flashlights and did the norm. The next morning my comp was pretty ticked about not having power and about showering out of a bucket. I just laughed and thought that Meisha is doing this every morning. It is hot in the afternoons but it is quite cold in the morning. So to get warmed up for a cold shower we did some P90X. It wasn’t actually that bad. I had one of those pooffy shower thingies that get all frothy with the soap. We chased all over town to find the twice relocated offices of the maintenance crew of our building. Finally, they consented to send someone. We waited for another night and no one showed up. Apparently this stuff happens. A few days went by and they still had not showed up. We decided not to wait for them. After a meeting we called a guy in our ward and he said he would bring an hermano in the ward to help. ha he shows up with his "electrician" that I was pretty sure was just his buddy. He stares at this meter for a while and starts poking randomly at all the wires and not really doing anything. I was starting to get annoyed as this was cutting into our day and this guy didn’t seem to know what he was doing. Then, he pulls out a screw driver and starts to smack stuff and boom – the power returned. "Say wha?!  He actually did a little bit more than that, like reattach wires that someone had cut. I blame our neighbors - who I think are trying to stop the work here. But there was also some random hitting with a screwdriver.

So Megs area is La Romana? Ha - my area is Roma and our streets are named after cities in Italy. I just can’t seem to get away from getting lost in Rome.

The words that my comp knows in English are trunky and coming out of the closet. He uses them a lot. We have a real good time together.

In one of the pics I attached, we are with the new bishop’s family - who we are pretty close with. We spent an hour with them and a menus activo miembro and they had me sing and play the piano.  At the end they said do you like peanut butter. DO I EVER? They gave me three peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and a jar of peanut butter. it tasted like home.

We did some work this week in an area of real poverty. We went to a part of the city with a square mile of one room huts made out of collected scraps. Tough to see. 
 
The highlight of the week was that I taught half of the lesson to an investigator named Jesusita. I then asked her if she was willing to be baptized in 3 weeks. She agreed! It was pretty durn great. I love to be able to speak personally of the power of a family following the commandments of God.

The food is still great. I’m getting somewhat of a sweet farmers tan. There are flocks of birds here that are so big they take 10 minutes to completely fly by and the sunsets are very tatooine like.

Love Ya’ll

 


No comments:

Post a Comment