Tuesday, April 9, 2013

So - I Don't Know Spanish After All



Quote: "The problem is not the problem, the problem is your perception of the problem"
Jack Sparrow.

In the airport on the way here, I was surprised to find myself a bit nervous to talk to people about the gospel. But I got over it and went and talked to one guy and gave him a BoM. The best part of this was it helped me get over myself and stop worrying. Reading the Book of Mormon and hearing the word of God can only help people; so there is nothing to worry about. I have to remind myself of this a lot because it is a different ballgame in Spanish. My President is great. I look forward to getting to know him better.

I was assigned to the most affluent area in Torreon - so my food is abundant and delish. My comp is named Poblete and is from Chile. He is under 5 feet tall, but seems a lot taller to me. He is 28 years old and a convert. He left on his mission as the only member in his family but they all converted while he was out here. I really like the guy. He is a great trainer and everyone here loves him.

This won’t surprise my mother or my sisters, but after 6 weeks in the MTC, I learned on the first day here that I don’t know Spanish. Ha - they all fire it off and I just stare and laugh. I really just sit there in the lessons and then bare my testimony at the end. But it is coming and I can now read my scriptures really well in Spanish. :) It is the accent that throws me off and how fast they talk. We are fed at lunch every day by a member and I have had all sorts of deliciousness, but it is the only big meal of the day. The heat makes us not hungry, and because of all the walking I can already fit into my clothes again following the 10 lb gain in the MTC. My comp really enjoyed the cereal I brought from the U.S.

Things about Torreon: The people are way friendly and like talking slow to me. I have seen a lot of Mexican versions of people from back home. For example, who would have thought there is a Mexican version of Bryan Tagge. I laugh inside every time I see this guy because of the similarity. There are people at the gas stations to pump the gas and other cleaning, so that is a blast from the past.

 

I really enjoy the mornings. During my training period, we have until noon for language, personal and comp study. I have never put this much time into the scriptures and Spanish. It is fun to be able to understand the scriptures in a different language. I am in Alma now. He says that we will reap what we sow; that whatever we give ourselves to is what we will receive. The rest of the day we go around to visit investigators and members. (I think that is what we are doing; sometimes I am not so sure what we are doing :))

General conference was great. I watched it with either caption or in a different room in English. However, Priesthood meeting was in Spanish. So, could you send me some of that? I really liked Elder Holland’s talk about belief versus knowledge. I had discussed this with Doug and mom in Wyoming last year. I thought it was odd that people felt like they had to say they knew beyond a shadow of a doubt. The thing is - this life is not about knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt. Whoever has that level of knowledge would act completely different. In Adelide’s farewell she said that her dad wished more people would describe more about why they know. I had shared something very similar with my MTC comp the first week, and when I read Adelide’s talk, I shared my thoughts again. He acted the same and was slightly offended and berated me for this and said that he knew beyond a shadow of a doubt. But believing in something is to turn your thoughts and actions towards it. And with the church we believe because of the experiences we have had throughout our lives. As children of God we know him as well as he is part of us. But this part of our existence is shadowed by the veil. So we show faith and believe that the best will happen; in the same way we believe a seed will grow. I cannot see the future and know that that seed will become something more; but if we set ourselves to studying and seeking to diligently learn we can better predict outcomes and become more educated in spiritual things.

Thanks for all the mail.

Love

Speen

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment