Monday, April 7, 2014

Serrano Peppers


Highlights of the week:
1.      Saw a scorpion 
2.      Saw a mother scorpion as they call it here - which really isn’t a scorpion; it is a spider, but a very dangerous nasty looking one;
3.      We had a lesson with an ex-convict, drug lord guy. It went great!
4.      Woke up; left the house; worked all day; got dusty; cleaned house and shoes; went to sleep. Repeated process.

Conference is always fun on the mish. We also had a good number of investigators there with us - so that was great. I included a picture of one of them. We had a lesson after conference with her and we asked her if she had prayed about baptism. She told us she was ready for it!


There is a tradition to burn a shirt at your one year mark - so we colored one up that was already ruined from my second area after a service project and we made like a couple of Boy Scouts behind our house.

Question: When we went on that hike with Brady, Josh, Dan, Christian, Doug, and Henry out by angels landing how high do you think was that longest drop?  Do you remember when we accidentally got off the trail and ended up by the ridge?

Both of your counselors sent me letters last week. That was super nice - so you’ll have to thank them for me.

The computers here are super slow. It took me an hour just to look through email and photos sent from home; 1st world problems here in Gomez Pa“rancho.”

Whenever we don’t want food or when something goes bad, we give it to a dog we have named Mozart. He always sits outside our house.  I am pretty sure the missionaries have been feeding him for a long time because even though he doesn’t know us, he is super faithful to us. When we leave the house in the mornings, he will always appear from another part of the neighborhood and trot over to greet us. One night we had a stack of ham that had gone bad and my comp had bread that he didn’t want – so we tossed it out of our window. He caught it in his mouth. He gets so excited because he is so hungry. Whenever we feed him he runs over to greet us and pounces on us to see if we have more food. He often sits outside our door, occasionally pawing the door to tell us to come out. One night after the ham, I went up on the roof and dropped one more piece of ham. It fell beside his head to his great surprise. He quickly gobbled it up and then looked at the window to see where the mystery meat came from. He was confused and looked up and saw me. He got so excited – he stood up on two legs trying to reach me to get more ham. We have fed him corn, a Gordita, an orange (didn’t eat it), and straight sugar (he was surprised by the taste and then ate several cups of the sugar).

You asked me if I bought new shoes. Nope you bought me those when we bought the slip-ons. I still have both pair.

We asked one of our native comps who the Mexican president was. He laughed and then thought for a second and told us he didn’t know.  We laughed and asked the hermana who was preparing us food if she knew. Nope. But they definitely know all of the Hollywood stars.

The video I put in the dropbox is a challenge between me and a member. At first we ate some chilies that were disappointingly not spicy so it didnt work. Then he ran into the kitchen and grabbed two Serrano’s.  =)

I really enjoy spicy food now and I have definitely grown accustomed to them. In July I took a tiny bite of that same pepper and had to run it the bathroom to spit it out and wash my mouth. Now I am speéñ

Wikipedia: The Scoville rating of the serrano pepper is 10,000 to 25,000.[3] They are typically eaten raw and have a bright and biting flavor that is notably hotter than the jalapeño pepper.

There is a standing bet for any elder that can eat three peppers. My comp was dying after one but he is new and sweats every meal because "it burns.” I can down three habaneras’.




No comments:

Post a Comment