Monday, August 19, 2013

Plumbing, Water Bills, etc.


 
Word of the week: Tuxedo in spanish is smoking! 

The computer lab here where I am writing this email just started to play Creedence Clearwater.   

During sacrament meeting here there is the normal noise; crying babies and chilren scurrying around; but there was a period of 5 to ten minutes of almost utter silence except for the speaker this week. Then this hard core spanish rap ringtone sounded.  I looked over to see who it was and it was the sweetest elderly lady and she was fussing to turn it off. =)   Respect. 



There is a hermana here named Vicky. She is soo close to tackling a smoking problem.  She hasn't had work for the last 2 months and has lost 25 pounds. Some days she just doesn't eat. She started smoking just to quench the hunger. The members are so great here and one of them offered her a job.   She was also having problems with her toilet so my companion and I went to try to figure that out.  She doesn't have AC and it was a hot day, so by the time we got it all worked out, I was soaked with sweat and toilet water.  When I told her it was all working and she looked at me with her normally serious face, then burst into smiles and squeeling and ran over to me and gave me a big hug. Then my comp had no idea what to do so he just let his arms go limp at his sides. =) ha  

This week I lost my mission card - the card we use to process our finances. I think it might have been swiped while we were in a public place called the Centro so I had to cancel that and wait for a knew one. But the new one is black and bien lindo. My comp said " oh man I should have lost mine earlier." 
 
Our landlord didn't pay the water bill so they came to shut the water off.  This process included shoving a large stick in the pipe to block the water. What?!  We spent half an hour digging that out with a neighbor and a drill.  

I hope you have a good week.

-friendly neighborhood speener man


    

No comments:

Post a Comment