Monday, August 5, 2013

The Neighbor



It was a real solid week. We had 2 baptisms yesterday and have one scheduled this week as well. I received a few of your written letters yesterday. One was a birthday card with a picture of Half Dome and the Pope.  I also received one from dad sent March 27. It contained a talk by Elder Holland and a personal letter.  Thanks so much for those.  The comp that I have coming today supposedly likes to sleep.  So we will see about that.  I learned a lot with my present comp about how if we show love even when not instantly returned it yields really good results. 

This week we were visiting a family that is consistently progressing when a passing neighbor came over to join in the conversation. She told us that her father was a good man, always friendly and a faithful father, but had never been baptized. She feared his resting place was with the adversary.  What an experience to be able to look someone in the eyes and tell them the truths of the gospel of our Savior.  She quickly fired off several more profound questions and we ended up having a discussion that extended way beyond the ten minutes that she initially said she would stay.  She has long time been a smoker and has wanted to quit and I fully believe she has found the cure.  She has a deep conviction of the bible and even could quote several verses of Isaiah.   I can’t really imagine living without knowing about the Temple or the Book of Mormon. What a privilege to share what was freely given to me.  



This week we were walking on an ordinary street, thinking ordinary thoughts, in an extraordinary work, when a miracle happened. A dog spied me a distance off and came bounding toward me. I was preparing to sling off my back pack to defend myself when a different dog leaped in the way and chased away the aggressor. My hero!  

You will have a blast in Montana. I can’t believe it has been five years since we were there watching Megan learn to drive.  Man! I drove for the first time in Nauvoo – the hazards were flashing, the doors were wide open, and there were sudden intervals of braking. An exhilarating moment in this guys life.  Also, I remember when Meisha learned to drive.  She was doing some hours when I returned from Mill Hollow. After my return, mom got a lecture about how her son and some other rebellious ruffians had chased a squirrel. Now the wildlife chases me. 

Love you all,

Speen


What is this thing in my sewing kit?

No comments:

Post a Comment